Sunday, January 13, 2008

Food and Fun

So I am so far behind on update and keeping everyone up on my journey. This is quick note to share a few moments of fascination in the past week.

First…For my family, I found a huge surprise in the locate supermarket. I look at this brown fruit and then smelled it was naseberry (it known as
Sapodilla here). Let me I say I have not eaten naseberry in about 10 yrs. I bought a packet that had 7 in it. They are rather small in comparison what I remember from the tree just at the top of house in Benbow, but they tasted great.

I have also seen sweetsop, tamarind and Etiote apple (the red apples) here, but I have not tried it yet...these are my next adventure in finding fruits from home—Jamaica home.

Second, it rained. Not like this does not happen, but is rare that it rain here. On Friday afternoon it rained while I on my way and during my walking around
Global Village (I would describe it as large flea market with lots of vendors from mostly Middle Eastern and Asian countries). Additionally the past three days have been very cloud and overcastted. The temperature has been changing as during the day 72-80 F/22-26 C and night 52-66/11-18 C. As the temperatures have dropped and it very interesting to here folks here talk about how cold it has become and to see then wearing winter gear. Folks are wearing hats scarves, gloves, heavy sweaters, boots, fleeces, and even long wool winter coats. Of course, I smile to myself, because, that could me next year during the “winter” months.

Last…I am getting more settled. I was finally able to move in to my flat on Jan 1. I am now spending my evening and weekend shopping, decorating and get some essential like internet access, cable, and the basics like rugs/carpets for the floors as they are tile an can be quite cold. Visitors are welcome…guest bedroom is in it final stages of being completed.

Still have lots to write and give update. I will be better about doing this once I get my internet at home. Til then...missing home just a little, but not the snow and cold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi KAF
We miss you too!!
Kind of funny what makes us laugh or smile :) , I know you don't miss Harrisburg and the snow ....
It was great to hear from the last time , send me your phone # so I can call
Love
L from L.A