Thursday, October 18, 2007

Culturally Adjusting

So I have been about getting connected in as many ways as I can. I have meet several colleagues in my department and others departments. As a result, I will be getting involved in some activities in the area. I have joined a couple online expat communities and plan to have lunch or coffee with some of the folks from these groups. I have met a couple co-workers who are introducing me to groups and activities in the city.

I have been around the city a little...a mixture of old and new with lots of construction cranes...the evidence that the city is growing. This includes the university that will be building several new buildings over the next two years.

I have heard that the Al Ain Mall is a hub of activity especially in the evening. I am going to experience this tonight with another new colleague and her daughters. Give a report later.

So other observations to date:
**Mobile: I now have a mobile phone. Your mobile is your lifeline here. Since there are no street addresses, you are mobile number is your address, thus you are “intimately” connected.

**Food: Meals in general are eaten later what was normal to me. The food is rich, spicy and very tasty. I have been trying almost everything as long as it seems recognizable to me. Sometimes, I have no idea what I am eating, but mostly eating lots of lamb, fish, fruits, vegetables and varies rice dishes w/ nuts. The new cuisine is a part of the adventure, which is a blend of Arabic, Indian, Mediterranean, etc

**Car: Many of the car windows are tinted so dark…I wonder how they see so drive.

** Taxicabs…Let us just say NYC taxicabs driver are great driver compare to the one here. There is not sense of common road courtesy or even the “rules” of the road that they abide by at anytime. The only “rule” they seem to abide by is the red traffic light and everything else is subject to their interpretation. Most drivers only speak a few words of English (but they then to understand the major landmark/locations) and can be very rude to you even while driving you somewhere.

**Smoking: It is everywhere. Unlike the US where there is “now” a big push for smoke-free environments from hospitals to restaurants not so here. Second-hand smoke…no fun.

Well…that is all for now…more updates on the way

No comments: