Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Journey begins...

My day started 3:45 am EST in North Carolina on Monday, Oct 15th. The first leg of my journey to the Al Ain, UAE began with a flight from NC to JFK, then the second leg from JFK to Abu Dhabi arriving at 7:45 am on Tues., Oct 16th. So with two flights, a 3 hrs layover at JFK and a 8hrs time different, it still the same day for me. My 12 1/2 non-stop from JFK to Abu Dhabi went faster than I had anticipated with a meals, movies and sleep.

I arrived to lots of fog while landing in Abu Dhabi, but that disappeared quickly into a nice, bright, sunny, 36 degree (97 F) day. Since, I was having a good conversation with my colleague and I was excited; the drive from Abu Dhabi to Al Ain did not seem long (1hrs 45 mins). Al Ain is a very green city fill with lots trees/flowers and round-a-bouts that are 2-3 lanes wide w/ speeding traffic. Driving will become a completely new experience for me.

Let’s see there are a couple things I will have to learn really fast…the metric system (for everything is in metric) and adjusting to the currency and its value (not thinking in US dollars). Time to recall or our use a friendly website until my memory improves about all the metric things I learned decades ago.

My first day was quiet, checked-in to my hotel, relaxed, had a good lunch, sat by the pool and read my book. This is my moment of feeling like a tourist for one day as I start orientation on Wed for work.

I am tired and sleepy, so because I needed to stay awake for a few more hours until it is late night for bedtime which should help me reduce my jetlag…I decided this was good time to create my blog and post my first message.

Thank you everyone…I miss you all

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! I am so pleased for you my friend and miss you already! Much love to you!

Rochelle

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds exciting, great weather. My wish for you is only best and looking forward to more updates.
Raquel

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love the clock on your blog. I'm headed to bed, and you're just about to wake up! You will be really great at arithmetic by the time you get back, with the metric system and converting money. God speed! Anne

Anonymous said...

Much success to you!! Enjoy this moment in your life. It looks like a great place.

Judy

Anonymous said...

Much success to you!! It looks very nice and warm. Enjoy your experience there.

Judy

ll said...

Hey Karla
I wish you great time and I hope your new adventures take where no fraser family member has gone before.
we miss you
LL

Anonymous said...

Hey Karla,
Greetings from the family in Jamaica. We are happy to see you are adjusting well. Thank God for your blog so we can see how you are doing.
So tell us are you likely to try the Muslim way of dressing??
Lata Cuz and continue to represent us well.

Sharnette