Sunday, October 28, 2007

Week Two....

So my second week has brought new experiences in this journey. I am slowly finding my way around the city as I have been driving for about 4 days. I have got lost often and using round-about take some major adjustment in driving. However, U-turn locations are quite common or going all the way around the a round-about helps in that I can go back to my starting point or it give me the chance to branch off into another direction. Most traffic jam/rush hour here occurred after 7pm as folks are out and about as it is much cooler. Many stores and the malls close between 11pm-12 am.
The weather has been great--hot during the day and cooler in the evening. The present temps are great for talking a walk or just sitting outside, especially in the evenings. This past week had some humidity, so it has been sticky for a couple days, even though it has not rained. The heat can be draining and drinking lots of water is a must. I have even taken a nap or two after been out in the sun during the day.
Experiencing the culture of separateness for men and women is interesting and learning experience. The "abaya" which is black robe-like covering worn by national women can be very plain or decorated most with embroidery, lace, or beads. Additionally, since there are Muslim women here from many other Islamic nations, the practice of covering varies quite a bit and can be very different in styles, fabrics and colors.
My new phase of adjusting begins on Sunday evening after work, when I start taking beginning Arabic. I think my classes will be 3-4 weeks for 4 days a week and session are 90 mins each day . As present, I know about four Arabic words. I am hoping to learn a few more.
I have visited both malls and I am not missing anything from home. The store names are different and there is blend of items/things are very traditional to the region and culture and other that are more contemporary and western. So making my home feel like home will not be a challenge. There lots of great places here to find things for the house and great decoration from the simple to the ornate and fancy. Shopping for household items/goods will be quite simple even though many of the brands are European. I have seen some familiar brands, but they tend to be more costly. There are lots of my shopping will be done in Al Ain. I will take a trip or two to Abu Dhabi or Dubai when needed.
For fun and things outside of work,
This weekend-(Oct 26-27): I went to worship on Friday, a movie on Sat and earlier in the week, I did a pamper moment of having a pedicure . I will get my hands/nails done this coming week. Additionally this upcoming weekend, one of the hotel here, plan and host a Thanksgiving Dinner (with all the trimmings) for US and Canadian folks and I will be going that event. They plan the event half way between the Canadians and US Thanksgivings, which make it good for both groups.
Last weekend-(Oct 19-20): I explored a couple other places last weekend. I visited the Al Ain Zoo and it is a nice and would rival any of those I visited in the US. I got a tour of the Vegetable/Fruits and Meat Souk. This is a traditional market. It instantly reminded me of the markets (like Linstead Market) at home in Jamaica. The souq or souk had section for fruits, vegetables, spices, meats, fish, etc. I plan the shop there regularly in the future for my fresh produce and some other items.
Well...that all for now...now to get rest and off the the office in the morning and a new day of driving (Day 5)

1 comment:

ll said...

Hey KAF
Latif here , It sounds like you are having fun without me!!!
we miss you down here, I wish a great thanksgiving.
you said you worshipping somewhere, a church?
I am glad you are adjusting well , a new culture can be daunting and if anyone can do it , you are the one.
try posting few pictures
L