Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Changing Weather and Clothing

It been a couple weeks since my last update and lots has happened. I have taken trips to Abu Dhabi, Dubai, visited the Jabel Hafeet (the mountain), and continue to meet lots of new people/colleagues/friends. This update: Weather, Clothes/Shoes Shopping…

The weather is changing. The days are in the 20s C or 70s-80s F and evening are cooler This makes for walking moments. So I have be walking with a friend in the evenings and enjoy the nice weather, which by UAE standards is “nice” meaning cool or getting cold. There has been some humidity and couple overcast days. Rain was predicated about a week ago, but did not happen. On a clear night the sky is beautiful, the star are bright and very visible. I have notice new phenomena in the evenings since the cooler weather has started. You can find/see many families, group men and sometimes women enjoying a picnic or have coffee/conversation in large grassy by the hotels or round-abouts and in the public parks. There definitely more people outdoors because of the cooler weather.

Another interesting things, I have notice is that as the temperature get cooler the colors of men's dishdasha change. I now see more men were darker colors...blue, black, brown, tan and not just white. The women are still wearing their black abaya/sheila. However, the more I out and about the more I notice that the ayaba a not just plain they are decorated with intricate patterns and colors especially of the sleeves, hem, border of the sheila and neckline. Since there are people here from many different countries the clothing and covering of women are very different. You will find more colorful covering from some of other Gulf Nations as well as North African nations. Likewise the dress of men from those regions are also different. Since there is also a large Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and other Asian populations here you will also find many other traditional dress the represent their life, customs and culture.

Additionally, since most floors here are marble or tile, my shoes are often slippery as they don’t have no-slip or grip soles. So I decided to go shoe shopping for a couple pairs as well as I am looking for a shoe repair shop who can add a non-slip tips and half sole to my existing shoes. So I am finding in my adventures of shoe shopping that have feet over a size 8-9 is downfall. They are many shoes stores here and many great/cute shoes. However, size 10 (eur 42) or higher is a rare thing here. Even more rare are wide-width options. . So even when I found a size 10.5 (eur 42) it not fit as it was not wide enough and just long enough. Since I need a 10w or higher depending or brand and cut/style of the shoe, I will be ordering online from home or trying other places when I travel to other countries. I have talked with colleagues who have the same dilemma and they often stack-up on shoes during their visits home (US or Canada).

On the other hand, finding clothes will be so much easier. There are some stores here both US and European that carry slightly large sizes. However, the fun thing, I am looking forward to is have clothes made to fit me by a local tailor for a reasonable price. In some case the fabric and cost of have it made can be cheater than “ready-made” items. The other great part about find a regular tailor is I can have my favorite clothes that fit me well duplicated in different colors and fabrics. I can also find a picture of some clothing I like ask to have it made to fit me. So…this part will be exciting and fun. I will be roaming fabric stores and create new things in the future.

So this next set of update will have several parts as I share the events of the past two weeks. Much more to come….stay tune

No comments: