Friday, November 16, 2007

Getting about town….

So I have been driving all around town (Al Ain). I get lost and then find my way, it can be frustration because you can driving in the same area for 10-15 mins an not realize it. However, the driving experience is getting easier each day. It is all about learning landmarks and round-abouts to get from one side of town the next.

Although street signs exist on most street, landmarks and round-abouts are how directions are given. So hand-drawn map, the names of districts (community name for an area of town) and know the round-abouts by what object are in the center is the best way for learning your way around. For now, I am still trying to use a map and learn some street name as it has been somewhat useful in my driving adventures around town.

Since Jebel Hafeet, the largest/tallest mountain in the UAE, is only 10 mins away and it takes about 15-20 mins to drive to the top. This became my second sightseeing event in Al Ain after the Al Ain Zoo a couple weeks back. The road to the top in very winding and steep, but it is very well lit at night. I did the late night trip to the top. At top…you can see the city light for kilometers (miles). The night I went was not 100% clear…so I’ll have make to trek again on clearer night. I’ll also have to go in the daytime for a different view. I was told the sunset from the top is breathtaking. I will have to experience that shortly as evenings are beginning to getting shorter.

So as a side note…since life has been so hectic and I am not settled in my permanent living quarters yet. However, I hope to me moving soon...my place should be ready in about a 6-9 days. I decided to forego my Arabic class session this semester. I think once I am more settled in a normal routine of life I will be able to better focus on learning the language and giving it the attention it needs which will be next semester (or the next time the sessions are offered). In the meantime, my colleagues are teaching me a couple words at a time and will starting listen to the Arabic Lesson CD on my computer and do some self-learning. I think it is important that I still learn basics on my own as it can/will be helpful in day-to-day living.


So the transition and adaptation to my new city is progressing….

No comments: